Friday, December 13, 2013

30 Day D&D Challenge [Day 8]: My Favorite Character I Have Played

Now this is one I can really sink my teeth into, but it's also probably one of the hardest questions I could ever be asked. I love my characters, all of them, and I tend to  get into them far more than a person should.

The first one that popped into my head was Cheris, my Avariel Ranger. I am not a minmaxy type player, but I just happened to get lucky with the way I statted her and some of the equipment she landed early on. She was a fucking glass canon. Cheris was doing ridiculous amounts of damage and getting +35s and over to hit at like, level 12.

But the thing about that is, as much as I liked her as a character, I think I had so much fun playing her because she was statted so well and was more or less THE party DPS. Shannanana would throw things at us that the party shouldn't have been able to handle and Cheris would still be able to hit them.

She was extraordinarily vain. When we ended up in one of those "worst fears" dungeons, it played on her vanity almost exclusively. She was also seriously racist against orcs, which became an issue on several occasions because earlier on in the campaign we had a TPK (Total Party Kill for those who don't know what I'm talking about, I really should make a glossary for this stuff) and one of the PCs at that point had been a full blooded orc.

Suffice to say he got resurrected. Shit hit the fan.

She also had a pseudo-doomed romance with another PC by the name of Galleon (who shared a player with the orc ironically enough) and when that campaign died off they were planning on getting married and founding a town somewhere so I'd like to think that happened.

That said...I'm going to have to cheat this entry because as much as I loved playing Cheris, the second character that popped into my head when I saw this prompt has been around longer and probably fits the prompt far better...

Okay let me put it this way. Cheris, from my perspective, was a really fun character to play. Demetrius, however, was part of a chain of campaigns that were arguably better organized and lasted longer and the DM made me love him.


...wow this is a shitty picture, I really need to draw an updated reference of him, but let's not quibble over the details right at the moment.

Demetrius Shaiith, son of my first character that lasted more than two sessions, Caliel Shaiith.

Caliel was a half drow, half moon elf bard / rogue / assassin. Demi's father was a human assassin. Which makes him, statistically, a half elf. His father owed Caliel a favor for saving his life at one point during one of her campaigns and Demi was the favor she asked for because, what could she say, the man had good genetics.

And Demetrius turned out to be everything she imagined he would be.

He was raised in a house of rogues, taught to be sneaky and underhanded, and he was, in every way, destined to be an amazing killer. Until he started travelling with a half-dragon named Kaskara and shit hit the fan.

They were both pretty shitty people at the time, and they fell in love. They had a Bonny and Clyde thing going on for a while, and then they got attacked and separated. Each one thought the other was dead and Demi was more or less kidnapped by this cult of asshats and went along with it. There, he met this girl who called herself Satine and started a casual relationship with her because she reminded him of Kas.

...it turns out she was Kas's half sister.

Then finds out Kas is still alive but doesn't reveal himself to her because she's found a new party and has actually become a good person and he doesn't want to ruin her life.

WELL, he ends up in the middle of this whole irrelevent mess with other people and this guy named Shade whose basically Kas's uncle. He kept telling Demi he was a horrible person for not telling Kas that he's alive and eventually provokes him to attacking only to find out it was actually Kas disguised as her uncle and he more or less killed her.

Except big old Daddy Draco is an amazing sorcerer and manages to save her life, except she's still in this like, eternal sleep state.

Whereas Demi just snaps and lets the god Bane inhabit his body (and Bane at this point was on the shit list with the other gods for a lot of reasons that had been built up in the campaign but that i'm not going to get into here or this entry will be forever long). Cue Demi going on a bloody nasty killing spree for like a hundred years give or take a decade.

Finally, his atheist mother (Caliel acknowledges gods are real but refuses to worship them) lets the goddess Jaden take over her body and there's this massive ass god-avatar fight and Bane gets forced out of Demi's body and he goes to wake up Kas and they live happily ever after.

Except for the part where he had a son he didn't know about with Satine and Draco still hates him.

Somewhere after that whole mess he ends up becoming a half dragon through divine intervention and he and Kaskara have three kids of their own and live up in some mountain somewhere.

That campaign lasted /forever/ and it was the /best/ campaign /ever/.

Still all the happy memories when I think of Demetrius.


No comments:

Post a Comment