Sunday, December 15, 2013

30 Day D&D Challenge [Day 10]: The Craziest Thing I've Seen Happen

A good D&D tale is like a war story, I think. The dynamic is pretty similar. You find someone that's played, you sit down to talk, everyone has a tale and they swear the dragon was this big.

My story comes from a time I was DMing.

Okay so I've already established I don't have the most orthodox group in the world. The one I am playing with now is even LESS orthodox than the one I had before. This particular story involves a wolfborn wizard named Beracav and a dwarf fighter named Falgrim. I gave them a DMPC for extra damage, by the name of Cyrie.

As a bit of backstory, earlier in the campaign Beracav begged me to let him learn to summon demons and I went ahead and let him figure out how it was done. That was my first mistake.

We get near the end of the campaign and Beracav pitched the biggest fit ever about not having used his summon ability, so I went ahead and let him because it was just Beracav and Falgrim at the table that night (we usually have a party of 6 or 7) and I figured they would need the extra help.

Beracav summons two Balor.

At this point I am already staring at him with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. What happens next goes a little like this.

Falgrim: You did say he could do it.
Me: I said he could summon some demons, not that he could summon too Balor.
Falgrim: We're level 18. -cites some obscure mechanic that allows Beracav to do this-
Me: okay whatever, you summon two Balor.

A round later, it got back to Beracav's turn.

Beracav: I cast enlarge on the Balor.

Just let me share a vague representation of the face I made.

=_______=

...but the boys had fun. That's what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment